Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Hillary

I'm not really a Hillary fan--I'm pretty much hoping for some combination of an Obama/Edwards ticket, but I had an interesting 3:30am, red bull & vodka infused conversation with a guy at a party the other day. It did stay friendly, but it was definitely dynamic.

I've heard this before on the internets, but I've never met a real live person who believed this. He told me "that the only reason Hillary didn't divorce Bill is for her future (presidential) political ambitions. "

So lemme get this straight.....

The expectation of a Christian conservative would be for a faltering marriage to immediately dissolve? That seems wildly counterintuitive. I thought the foundation of Christianity was built on forgiveness, and that the "for better & for worse" part of the vows meant something.

I also seem to remember that Bill (Clinton) went to church frequently, AND in one instance I remember, he was videotaped on the front steps of his church while being jeered by some (conservative, I assume) holier than thou. Apparently "forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us" is not part of the lords prayer where he comes from.

And what is even more profound is the bile at which they spew this nonsense.

a)It sounds like to me that they are miffed that they can't monopolize fidelity & morals. The very idea that a liberal could hold a marriage together is horrifying to a conservative, a pure case of cognitive dissonance, so they make up ulterior motives for such "Strange" behavior. Stange behavior indeed, because this cheating & divorce happens to liberals. Conservatives NEVER get divorced, NEVER cheat on their spouses with hookers, and NEVER try to have sex with teenage boys.

I know that infidelity is prolific in the human condition. I can accept why it happens. I can't accept it to happen to me. Why "the sanctity of marriage is even something worth talking is about is only because conservatives keep blabbering about it. Real special those conservatives. So novel that they wouldn't want to be cheated on and lose their spouses.

b)It also sounds to me like a deep loathing for your(political) enemies, which is not what Christ tells us to do. He tells us to love our enemies, correct? So shouldn't good Christians be happy that Bill & Hillary saved their marriage? No. They were hoping that they would crash & burn in similar fashion to my secret desires for Britney. Except mine came true.

I tell you what conservatives. Do me a favor. If you REALLY want to protect marriage, put forth a bill in congress to make divorce in 99.99% of all cases illegal, with mandatory prison sentences. Have Mike Huckabee run on it. I'll sign it--just to see what ensues. Is it that a ridiculous idea? You shouldn't think so--God ordained, approved, and perhaps planned your marriage on your wedding day in his church. Why should it be legal to undo God's works? To interrupt his plan? How do you know the point of your life is not God's way to show other people not to rush into marriage? Show me how committed you are to him.

And the next part: How exactly does divorcing Bill destroy her ability to run for president? HMMMM?

If she divorced him, she could take all his money (which I'm sure you'd just loooove) and be labeled an even BIGGER ballbuster than the conservatives give her credit for. But she's not a ballbuster. She's a loving wife with a family,(and a spine) and conservatives can't attack a loving wife. So they brand her as a ballbusting dominatrix. That way, she's much easier to attack. Ironically, they're trying to make her into a liberal version of Ann Coulter, every republican man's daily infidelity against his wife.

In the end,
a) it's all sour grapes that you didn't get your way, and have an easier method to attack her.
b) you know that given the same situation, YOU wouldn't have a big enough heart to forgive your spouse. You'd divorce them. Hey--I might too. But there's no chance that you'll give her credit.

As Stephen Colbert put it......"the truth has a liberal bias."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Later on, I added fuel to the fire by having the guy read Luke 17:20-21.

God repayed me by making me puke my guts out about an hour later.

2 comments:

Thinking it and making it happen said...

That's funny.
God repayed you...

Thou shall puke thy guts out for suggesting Luke 17.

You must have missed this verse...

Thou shall not request the reading of Luke 17 to infidels, conservative christians, or the presidential hopeless such as Mike #%@!kabee, or you will puke your guts out with the slightest sip of red bull voddy.

On a side note, a few thoughts come to mind (stating the obvious here) - just because someone says that they are something - such as christian, catholic, or a president that is their for the peoples interest, etc. doesn't mean they are.
Attending a church service doesn't mean they are religious. Practicing the word and showing up for church are 2 different things.
Churches everywhere are full of people who are religious for an hour a week.
Just as a random response/comment/thought the presidency is all about fronts. It will be years before we have a president that admits to being atheist.
Also, for the record I'm proud to say I'm neither Republican or Democrat, not a bible thumper either, I do believe in a creator though (that is also for the record).
Anyway, I will be glad when the day comes that we no longer have one person in charge, the kingly figure who is there for their own ambitions that is.
Someday we rely on a group of people such as congress to facilitate our wishes.
Now, if we could just find some honest politicians and then we could create this document that lays out some general guidelines for the people and the politicians to follow... I know, we could call it the Constitution!
Why hasn't anyone ever thought of that before?
Sorry for my ramblings and I know they are rather askew from the things you brought up in your post, but those are the thoughts the post initiated for me!!

ofagirl said...

even more fodder:

http://www.conservativesexscandals.com/