Tuesday, March 25, 2008

New Favorite Beer.



This is the best stuff evar.

I've been a fan of fan of both locally produced & hoppy beers for quite some time. Usually, Summit (Maibock or Winter) is my choice for beers, but I've come across something that has angels singing in my ears.

First of all, is it a coincidence that there is a Twin Cities brewery that goes by Surly---and also a Twin Cities bicycle company called Surly bikes? I doubt it.

When I take my first sip of furious, I think hardcore cycling-- whether it's keeping it hipster-real across town on the fixie, an 80 mile hammer ride in spandex on your sleek road bike south of Prescott, or hanging out in the parking lot after 3 consecutive flawless loops in the XX at Lebanon hills, Surly Furious does not let you down on it's aggressive demeanor.

Really though--I think Furious can unite people across all spectrums. A true beer connoisseur will know that someone has paid attention to how this is crafted. There is subtleties & complexities in the flavor that you can read about on the can. There's also the hops. The hops really let you know they are there--like a suckerpunch in the nose. It's almost like drinking gravel, if drinking gravel was something you'd obsess about doing. The hops make me want to beat my chest like a caveman and watch NASCAR. (almost) But telling rural North Dakota rednecks, "Listen; I don't know, you might not be man enough for this," or " this might be a nice accompaniment to rare steak marinated in battery acid" are VALID statements.

Furious could quite possibly bring all walks of American culture together. Except Dick Cheney. That "come together" peace shit doesn't work with him.

1 comment:

Plains folk said...

Sounds good I'm going to try it this weekend when I'm down,
Oh yeah, by the way - I'm coming down tomorrow till Sunday.

We should get in touch.