Friday, January 2, 2009

Collections

I've always resisted the urges to be "a collector." In college, I had a roommate who collected Coca Cola memorabilia, something I really didn't understand. Like all college freshmen, I collected beer bottle caps. Until I was 21, when I threw them all away.

Now I have 4 bikes, but you could hardly call that a collection. All have their own utility (road,tri/TT,track/fixie, and mountain), and I only need 2 more -- a cyclocross bike and a junker for bar crawls.

As an apartment dweller, I really fight my nesting instinct. I also don't like having shit - when I was in college, I enjoyed being able to put every single one of my belongings into my chevy sedan and go wherever I wanted--the freedom was liberating. I dream of having a loft with minimalist decor -- a couch, a chair, a desk, a bikes, a bookcase, a guitar, photos & art on the wall, and luscious swaths of empty space. When moving into my future dream home, I expect to have one huge ass rummage sale, a week off from work for ebaying, and many subsequent trips to the dumpster.

Tonight I went to REI to find a messenger bag replacement for my leather bookbag. I came home with a backpack and a laptop sleeve.


And I came to terms with the fact that I'm a total slut for backpacks.


They have so much UTILITY! I bought a backpack tonight because I could bring not just my laptop with me, but my laptop, my DSLR, some books, and a snack. Fuck messenger bags--I've got what I need. (except I need to exchange the laptop sleeve, it's too small)

So now, here's my collection thus far, in order of acquisition....

-a drawstring bag from a 1997 state swimmeet. Used frequently as a carry-on at airports, and a very low profile daypack while travelling. It rolls up very compactly into my bigger pack after I pick up my luggage.
-Old yellow Eddie Bauer schoolbag backpack. It's tattered, yet not ready to fall apart. Usually used as a gym bag
- a Wilson Leather messenger style bag. Its falling apart.
-a Camelbak, which is used frequently while mountainbiking, downhill skiing @ altitude, and XC skiing
- an extended trip internal frame REI Mars pack. Used for extended backpacking, and the only luggage I need for air travel.
- a mesh Pigman triathlon half ironman schwag bag. it' mesh, perfect for holding onto swim gear, since it breathes. No moldy swim trunks!
- an Ortovox ski mountaineering pack. I got it to replace the yellow EB pack, and for future backcountry skiing/summitting. It has loops for skis, ice axe, and crampons. Also works well for triathlons--Loops for my helmet and straps for the wetsuit. Suh -weet.
- an amphipod neoprene holster. Just big enough to hold keys, an ID, a few bucks, and clips inside your waistband - perfect for a quick run. Not technically a backpack, but awesome all the same.
- the latest. An Arc'teryx technical daypack. It will fit my laptop, my DSLR, a legal pad and some paperbacks(and probably more). It's extremely light, can hold a water bladder, and will work great for biking my camera & computer around town & probably on very long rides.Perfect.

No comments: