Monday, April 28, 2008

Sweet Run

Please ignore the play-by-play feel of this, but I'm feeling pretty good right now.

I got home today from work a little groggy because I had a massive greasy Mexican lunch. I took a siesta on my couch, looking out at the dreary sky, knowing I had a long run planned for this afternoon.

I got dressed up, and stretched nice & slowly while watching Cops on TV.

I stepped outside to crisp 35F air, and decided that I was dressed appropriately & I probably wouldn't need the gloves in my pocket. I stepped off, and headed over to Harriet. As I got to the lake, I pushed the pace a bit and got the heart rate up, enjoying the little trails along the path, and the cool air blowing off the lake. And I felt pretty decent.

I decided to do a take a cruise out along Minnehaha, and after I got to 35W, I decided I would take a loop out to my favorite South Minneapolis landmark, the Washburn water tower. Prepare to suffer to get there, it's at the top of a large hill by this city's standards, but you can catch a view of the skyline while the trees are still barren.

After a couple quick minutes to enjoy the view and take a sip of Kona Cola-flavored Nuun,(yum!) I decided to head over to calhoun. I ran up King's highway, and decided to take the long way around Calhoun and I'm thinking,
"How do I feel about a half marathon?"
"I think that's a great idea."
"OK. It's on."

Once I got into SLP, I felt a blister forming on my foot & pulled my sock up. Thankfully I did, because I didn't have any blisters when I got home.

I slipped down one of my favorite streets through SLP, and ran down a hill. This hurt. I really let gravity take over when I'm going down hills, and my footsies were feeling pretty raw.

I finished off my Kona Cola, and felt the wall. Fortunately, I was pretty close to home, and strolled in to the apartment.

I immediately slammed two glasses of Chocolate milk. and then a third. Then I had a fantastic spinach-lentils(70%of my daily allowance of dietary fiber)-gorgonzola-blueberry-viniagrette salad, and about 3 huge glasses of cold water. Cold water tastes fantastic right now.

And I just realized, looking at my Garmin summary: I've never ran that far. 13.39 miles, in a little under 2 hours. And I consumed 0 calories the whole way.

I'm going to sleep well.

1 comment:

Plains folk said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I'm winded after running 10 minutes on the treadmill at an average pace of 8 miles per hour.

Also, I will be voting on your poll but I thought the choice of incompetant evil fool might have been a bit more appropriate...