Saturday, November 15, 2008

Comparing & Contrasting Survivorman and Man Vs. Wild.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but these are two of my favorite shows, and I like them for different reasons.

In case you're not familiar, both shows are filmed in exotic locations where you might become stranded, and they attempt to teach you how to survive.

Les (survivorman) gets dropped off in the middle of nowhere with just about nothing and a bunch of cameras. He films everything and is very alone -- he either finds civilization or his crew begins searching for him after 7 days.
Bear(Man vs. Wild) goes out into the middle of nowhere with his own camera crew. He usually sleeps in hotels in nearby cities, etc.

Les: My motorcycle broke, and I'm stuck here in the middle of the desert. I'm going to strip anything useful off of it and get moving.
Bear: I'm going to skydive off a helicopter onto a Patagonian glacier!

Les: I really need to get across this river in order to get to a road to find people. It's going to be really cold
Bear: I'm going to jump off this cliff into a raging canyon river to show you what to expect if you ever have to cross something like this. WoooHOOO!

Les: It would be best to have this emergency blanket up against skin, but I'm not going to get naked on a mountain peak while it's cold & raining.
Bear: Since my clothes are wet after swimming across this river in icelandic backcountry, I have to get these clothes off and get dry even though the windchill is like -20F. *Tears clothes off til he's buck naked, does pushups.*

Les: I haven't eaten in 3 days, I'm going to enjoy eating this scorpion alive. Yuuummmmm. Best meal I've ever had.
Bear: Oh my god this scorpion is disGUSTing. *Pukes*

Les: This would be easy if I didn't have to film everything for you. I have to do everything twice!
Bear: My crew helped me build this hut.

Les: A local guide told me.....
Bear: When I was in the British special forces, we....

Les: It's the middle of the night, and I'm leaving camp. I got up to pee, a jaguar came at me, and I wasn't able to scare it away. I'm going down this path hoping it will lead me to a local indigenous jungle tribe. I hope it isn't stalking me.
Bear: I'm here with a local farmer, showing you a somewhat recent kill of some of his livestock by a puma. I'm going to chew on some just to show you what it looks like for a man to chew on a carcass. This meat should still be good to eat.

Les: None of the water around here is good. I'm going to build an elaborate filter from nearby materials to make it safe, or make a fire to boil it using only wet wood and a flint.
Bear: I shouldn't have drank that murky water....I'm having to stop with diarrhea every five minutes.

No comments: