Sunday, December 16, 2007

First weekly Tri club run.

Gear West Tri club started it's first weekly run today. After a intoxicating night out at King & I Thai and the Local, I made it to the Lake Harriet Bandshell at 8am this morning. I was only planning on running a loop at Harriet, but it sounded like everyone was going to do 6 miles, so I caved into peer pressure and did a loop at Calhoun too. I was chitt chatting with one of the Karens while we held a 9 minute/mile pace around Harriet, and then I grabbed some sports drink because I was stupid enough to go running without water in my water bottle.

After stopping to fill, I ran over to Calhoun, now by myself, and picked a direction to run. I was pretty sure everyone was going clockwise, so that's what I did. I ran into the fast runners going the opposite direction around the far side of Calhoun, and they told me that they were going backwards to pick up the last people & run back with them. I passed everyone behind them, also going the opposite direction.

Anyways, running alone made it difficult to hold a 9 minute pace, and I was continually speeding up. I spent most of Calhoun at an 8:30 pace, and ended up finishing around 8:10.

My goal is averaging under 7:00 minutes/mile in a 10K by this summer.

No comments: